You are using an old browser that may not function as expected. <br><strong>For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.</strong>

Log in Become a Member


Comprehensive description of all European growing areas, their grape varieties, traditions and legal rules with maps.

Unfortunately there is no information about Monferrato DOC available.
Monferrato DOC

Description to Monferrato DOC

DOC area for red, rosé and white wines in the Italian region of Piedmont, named after the former marquisate. It is considered one of the oldest wine-growing areas or perhaps even the origin of viticulture in Piedmont, as evidenced by numerous finds of amphorae and artefacts. The extensive zone covers around 1,200 hectares of vineyards in a total of 229 municipalities in the two provinces of Asti (116) and Alessandria (113). The Monferrato Casalese subzone comprises 39 municipalities in the province of Alessandria, for which there is also the independent DOC area Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese. Other independent Monferrato enclaves are Barbera del Monferrato and Cortese dell'Alto Monferrato.

Monferrato - Hügel

The Chiaretto or Ciaret (Rosato) is blended in any use of the varieties Barbera, Bonarda Piemontese, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Dolcetto, Freisa, Grignolino, Nebbiolo and Pinot Nero = Pinot Noir (to. 85%), as well as other permitted varieties (max. 15%). For Bianco and Rosso, the authorised non-aromatic varieties may be used in any blend. The single-varietal wines Casalese-Cortese (Cortese), Dolcetto, Freisa and from 2020 Nebbiolo (the latter also as Superiore) must contain at least 85% of the respective variety, the remaining 15% may be authorised varieties. All red wines are also available as Novello. A Vivace (sparkling wine) is available from Rosso, Bianco and Freisa.

Image: CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

In this section you will find
currently 159,010 Wines and 24,646 Producers, including 2,773 classified producers.
Rating system Find+Buy Tasting samples Editorial schedule