Named after the village of the same name, this communal appellation is located in the Côte de Beaune area of Burgundy 's Côte d'Or between the communes of Pommard and Meursault. The vineyards cover around 200 hectares of vines. Almost exclusively red wines are produced from Pinot Noir with portions of Pinot Gris and Pinot Liébault. The Cistercians already owned vineyards here in the 14th century and they were very popular with the Dukes of Burgundy, who had a castle here at that time. Claude Arnoux (1695-1770) prefaces his famous book on Burgundian wines with a hymn of praise in Latin for the wines of Volnay, calling them the best wines of the Côte de Beaune. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the wine from this commune was one of the most popular with the Bourbons and also with the entire aristocracy. There are no Grands Crus. The 29 Premiers Cr us cover around 100 hectares of vines. The most important are Champans, Clos de la Bousse d'Or, Clos de la Chapelle, Clos de l'Audignac, Clos des Chênes, Clos des Ducs, Frémiets, Les Caillerets and Taille Pieds. The red wines from parts of some Premier Cru sites (for example Santenots) are located in Meursault, but are produced with the AOC designation Volnay-Santenotsdesignation. Well-known producers are Marquise d'Angerville, Bichot (Domaine du Pavillon), Jean Boillot, Domaine Guyon, Jadot, Domaine Lafarge, Domaine des Comtes Lafon and Domaine Rossignol.