You are using an old browser that may not function as expected. For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member


Comprehensive description of all European growing areas, their grape varieties, traditions and legal rules with maps.

Val di Cornia DOC

Description to Val di Cornia DOC

DOC area for red wines, rosé wines and white wines in the Maremma landscape in the Italian region of Tuscany. The zone includes the municipalities of Campiglia Marittima, Piombino and San Vincenzo in the province of Livorno, and Monteverdi Marittimo in the province of Pisa

The pure variety wines must contain at least 85% of the respective variety, the remaining 15% may be other approved varieties. The white wines are Ansonica = Inzolia (also as Passito) and Vermentino. The red wines are Aleatico Passito, Cabernet Sauvignon, Ciliegiolo, Merlot and Sangiovese. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese are also available as Superiore.

The Bianco is blended from Vermentino Bianco (to 50%), as well as any use of Trebbiano Toscano, Ansonica, Viognier and Malvasia Bianca Lunga (max. 50%), as well as other authorised varieties (max. 15%). The Rosato is produced from Sangiovese (max. 40%), Cabernet Sauvignon and/or Merlot (max. 60%), as well as other authorised varieties (max. 20%)

The Val di Cornia Rosso wine type has been awarded DOCG status in 2011. In the same year, Suvereto (which was already allowed to bear the name as a DOC) was established as an independent DOCG area.
In this section you will find
currently 144,065 Wines and 22,861 Producers, including 2,403 classified producers.
Rating system Their sources in Wine Guide Wine Samples