The winery is located in Cenicero, 20 kilometres from Logroño, in the centre of the Spanish Rioja sub-area Rioja Alta. It was founded in 1970 by Enrique Forner (1925-2011), who had lived in France for a long time and was the owner of Château de Camensac
with his brother and until 1986 also of Château Larose-Trintaudon
. The famous professor Émile Peynaud
(1912-2004) worked as an advisor in the development of the winery. The prestigious name was allowed to be used by the noble friend of the owner Juan Noguera, Marqués de Cáceres. The bodega is considered a pioneer of the Rioja renaissance from the 1970s onwards. There is no own vineyard, the grapes are bought from local winegrowers in Cenicero and the surrounding area. To this end, the best vineyards in the area have been selected and long-term contracts have been signed to ensure both premium quality grapes and the proper viticultural management of these vineyards
A new viticulture school was founded with the aim of fully expressing the character of each plot of particularly old vineyards. A team of oenologists is responsible for the vinification. There are 40,000 barrique barrels available for ageing. The red wines are fruity and less oaky than usual in Rioja. For the white wines, barriques are largely avoided. The flagship "Gaudium" is blended from Tempranillo (95%) and Graciano (5%) and matures for 18 months in new French barriques and another 24 months in the bottle. About half of the production is exported to 120 markets worldwide.