The winery is located in the municipality of Morscheid in the German wine-growing region of Mosel. The first documented mention dates back to 1349. In 1999, the 650th anniversary of the house was celebrated. Friedrich von Kesselstatt was appointed administrator of the estate's cellars by the Elector in 1377. When Hugo Casimir Graf von Kesselstatt was Landhofmeister from 1761 to 1794, Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus von Sachsen Wettin issued a decree in 1787 to plant better vines in future instead of the "reprehensible Rhenish vines", which primarily meant Riesling. In 1978 it was taken over by the Reh family and is run by Gerhard Gartner. The former seat of the winery was the Palais Kesselstatt in Trier, which was built in baroque style between 1740 and 1746 on the foundations of a Roman glass-blowing factory. Today, the winery's restaurant and wine tavern are located there. The headquarters were moved to Marienlay Castle in the Ruwer Valley in 1999. Since 1988, all wines have been produced there in the newly built winery.
The vineyards cover 36 hectares of vines in all three river valleys of the wine-growing region. These are the single vineyard sites Doctor (Bernkastel), Juffer Sonnenuhr(Brauneberg), Domprobst and the solely owned Josephshöfer (Graach), Nies'chen and Kehrnagel (Kasel), Bockstein (Ockfen), Domherr and Goldtröpfchen (Piesport), Sonnenuhr (Wehlen), as well as Braunfels, Gottesfuß, Kupp and Scharzhofberg (Wiltingen). They are 100% planted with Riesling. All wines are fermented spontaneously and a long storage on the fine lees is philosophy. Vinification is done in the traditional way to preserve the character of the vineyard. The wines are marketed in four lines: Estate Wines, Moselle Collection, Saar Collection and Ruwer Collection. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and noble brandies (marc, pear, mirabelle plum) are also produced. The winery is a member of the VDP.