currently 158,981 Wines and 24,645 Producers, including 2,773 classified producers.
The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Trier-Eitelsbach (Ruwer area) in the German Moselle wine region. The Carthusian monks who gave it its name received it as a gift in 1335 from the Elector Balduin of Luxembourg (1285-1354) and practised agriculture and viticulture there in the Middle Ages. In the course of secularisation, it first came into the possession of the French state in 1803 and was purchased at auction by Valentin Leonardy in 1811. Through marriage it became the property of the Rautenstrauch family and later the Tyrell family. Christoph Tyrell took over the business in 1986 in the sixth generation and laid the foundation stone for a new rise with his administrator Ludwig Breiling. Today the winery is owned by his cousin Albert Behler. Julia Lübcke is the managing director and Sascha Dannhäuser the cellar master.
The vineyards cover 19 hectares of vines in the Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg vineyard, which is solely owned by the estate and is classified as a VDP.Große Lage according to the VDP classification model. They are mainly planted with Riesling (almost 18 hectares) and somePinot Blanc. In order to ensure an adequate supply of water and nutrients in dry years, dung, straw, bark mulch and chopped vine wood are spread in precisely calculated doses. Biodiversity (variety of species) is promoted by environmentally friendly, sustainable cultivation in the vineyard.
The wines are aged exclusively in steel tanks. All wines are generally declassified so that they far exceed the legal minimum must weights of the respective quality levels. Only extremely healthy grapes are used to mature the dry Riesling wines. The wines are filled in bottles with the typical neck loop label that has been used for over 100 years. The winery is a member of the associations VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter) and Fair'n Green.