The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Neive (province of Cuneo) in the Italian region of Piedmont. It was here in 1862 that Louis Oudart produced the first dry Barbaresco in the historic cellar that still exists today, which then attracted international attention. In 1964 the company was acquired by the Stupino family and is now run by Italo Stupino. Claudio Rogger is the technical and oenological director. In 2012 a newly built cellar with the latest technical equipment was put into operation and in 2015 the historic cellar for specially aged wines was renovated.
The vineyards cover 27 hectares. They are planted with the red wine varieties Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto, Albarossa and Pinot Nero(Pinot Noir), and the white wine varieties Arneis, Moscato(Muscat Blanc) and Riesling Renano(Riesling). Some of the Nebbiolo and Arneis varieties are special clones that have been selected in the winery on experimental vineyards. The vineyard is managed by means of a central weather station, whose data are transmitted to the University of Piacenza, where they are processed according to mathematical models and made available to the winery. This enables targeted measures to be taken in the vineyard. Pest control is carried out using environmentally friendly confusing methods and the use of chemical substances is reduced to a minimum. Weed control is carried out mechanically.
The wide range of products includes various wines from the DOC/DOCG areas Barbaresco, Barbera d'Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba, Piemonte, Langhe and Moscato d'Asti. The premium wines are Barbaresco Riserva Albesani Santo Stefano, (over 50 years old vines, fermentation in stainless steel, ageing in 35 hl wooden barrels), Barbera d'Alba Santo Stefano (fermentation in stainless steel, ageing in 35 hl wooden barrels) and Piemonte Albarossa (fermentation in stainless steel, ageing in 20% new barriques). The annual production is around 170,000 bottles of wine, two thirds of which are exported mainly to the USA, Canada and Europe (England, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden).