currently 160,201 Wines and 24,696 Producers, including 2,851 classified producers.
The estate is located in the commune of Saint-Estèphe in the area of the same name in the Médoc (Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux classification in 1855, the estate was classified with the fourth rank (Quatrième Cru Classé). Its origins date back to the mid-16th century. In the middle of the 17th century, the estate came into the possession of Etienne de Lafon. Unlike many other estates, the history of the estate was hardly affected by the French Revolution, as Jean Lafon supported the revolution as a member of the local revolutionary council. Jean changed his name to Jean de Lafon Rochet, from which the estate name is derived. Thereafter there were countless changes of ownership and ultimately a total decline.
When it was taken over by Guy Tesseron in 1960, there was almost no more wine production. Through his marriage to Nicole Cruse, he came into a business relationship with the well-known wine trading house. He had the vineyards and cellars renovated and a new château built in the style of the 18th century. In 1975, he also acquired the Château Pontet-Canet. This was then bequeathed to the brothers Gerard and Alfred Tesseron in 1999, while Gerard's twin brother Michel Tesseron and his sister Caroline were awarded Château Lafon-Rochet. Finally, in 2021, the estate was acquired by real estate billionaire Jacky Lorenzetti for an undisclosed sum.
The vineyards cover 45 hectares of vines and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (40%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 14 to 18 months in 50% new barriques. The name of the second wine "Les Pèlerins de Lafon-Rochet" recalls the time when Château Lafon-Rochet was a station for pilgrims (Pèlerins) on the Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia (Spain). Another second wine is called "Le Numéro 2 de Lafon-Rochet".