The winery is located in the commune of Moulis
(Moulis-en-Médoc) in the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux classification
according to the old system, which is no longer valid, it was last classified as "Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel" in 2003. The vineyards were known since the 16th century under the name "Salles de Poujeaux" and were in the same ownership as Château Latour
. Until the beginning of the 19th century, the Gressier family was the owner of the vineyards known as "Grand-Poujeaux", which included this part of the estate. The extensive property was acquired by the merchant André Castaing in 1806. In 1820, a division of the estate took place, which subsequently gave rise to Château Chasse-Spleen
, Château Gressier Grand-Poujeaux
, Château Maucaillou
and Château Poujeaux. In 1880 the estate was divided into three parts.
François Theil acquired one third in 1921. His son Jean, in charge of the estate from 1957, succeeded in buying the other two thirds and merging the vineyards. In 1981, he handed over the management to his sons François, Jean-Pierre and Philippe. At the beginning of 2008, Philippe Cuvelier, who also owns the Clos Fourtet
, bought the estate for 25 million euros. It is managed by son Mathieu Cuvelier. The total estate comprises around 100 hectares, of which 53 hectares are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (40%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (5%) in a continuous plot. This long-lasting red wine is aged for 12 months in barriques that are 50% new. The second wine is called "Château La Salle-de-Poujeaux".