The winery is located in the municipality of Pomerol in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). The name is derived from the location next to the old church of Saint Jean de Pomerol (eglise = church), which was built by the Templars in the 12th century. The very old estate in its present form was founded in 1882 by Monsieur Mauleon-Rouchut by merging the parcels Clos de l'Eglise and Domaine de Clinet, from which the present name is derived. Since 1983, it has been run by the descendant Denis Durantou. The vineyards cover six hectares of Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%).
The long-lasting red wine is aged for up to 18 months in half new barriques. The 1899 vintage is considered to be the wine of the century, at that time the winery or wine was still called Clos L'Eglise-Clinet. The famous English taster Michael Broadbent (1927-2020) titled this wine as almost perfect. At a tasting in 1999, the hundred-year-old wine was rated with the superlatives "finest raspberry aromas, wonderfully fine sweetness, unbelievable freshness, long finish". The second wine is called "La Petite Eglise".