The vineyard is located in the far north-west of the Saint-Émilion region on the border with Pomerol. Its origins date back to Roman times, when there was an estate here called "Figeacus". The estate existed throughout the Middle Ages and often changed hands. It belonged successively to various leading families in the region. In the 17th century, it became the property of the Carle family, whose member François de Carle was appointed mayor of Saint-Émilion for life by King Louis XIV (1638-1715). His descendant Élie de Carle extended Château Figeac and also had the château renovated. At this time, the large estate comprised a total of 250 hectares of vineyards, forests and pastureland. The wine produced there was supplied to many wealthy customers in many European countries.
After Élie de Carle's death, his widow's lavish lifestyle caused major economic problems. Gradually, parts of the vineyards were sold and assigned to other wine estates or became the basis for new wine estates. These were Château Beauregard and Château La Conseillante in Pomerol, as well as Château Cheval Blanc, Château La Marzelle, Château La Tour Figeac, Château La Tour-du-Pin-Figeac (formerly divided, reunited) and Château Yon-Figeac in St-Émilion.
The rest of the estate changed hands several times in the 19th century. It lost its leading position due to mildew and phylloxera. It was acquired by André Villepigue in 1896. His great-grandson Thierry Manoncourt took over the estate in 1947 and brought it back to the top. The oenologist Michel Rolland (*1947) acted in an advisory capacity. It had been classified as Premier Grand Cru Classé B since the beginning of the Bordeaux classification in 1955. In 2022, it was classified as Premier Grand Cru Classé A. Today, it is managed by his son-in-law Eric d'Aramon. The estate includes a 13-hectare park.
The vineyards cover 40 hectares of vines on soils with pebble deposits up to seven metres deep. This type of soil, which is unusual for the Saint-Émilion region, resulted in a different planting with unusually high proportions of 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc each, and only 30% Merlot, based on soil analyses carried out in the 1950s. This is why the fruity, colourful wine is similar to those from the Médoc and is also known as the "Médoc wine from Saint-Émilion". It is matured for up to 20 months in 100% new barrique barrels. There is no filtration at all. The second wine is called "La Grange Neuve de Figeac". Around 160,000 bottles of wine are produced each year.