The winery is located in the municipality of Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. Its origins date back to the 15th century, when it was owned by the noble family Comtes Durfort de Duras. At that time, the Duras family also owned vineyards, which were later merged into two independent estates, Château Margaux
and Château Lascombes
. The later US president Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) and at that time US ambassador noted during his visit in 1775 that the wines were to be classified immediately after Château Haut-Brion
, Château Lafite-Rothschild
and Château Margaux. At the Bordeaux classification
in 1855 it was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). At the beginning of the French Revolution the family was expropriated in 1789. In 1824, the estate came into the possession of the Vivens family, related to Durfort, who added their name to it. After several changes of ownership, from 1937 to 1961 it was in the same ownership as Château Margaux, where the vinification took place.
It was finally acquired by Lucien Lurton
in 1961. Since his death in 1992, it has been managed by his son Gonzague Lurton. In the mid 1990s, investments were made in new cellar facilities. The vineyards cover 32 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lasting red wine is aged for 18 to 20 months in one third new barriques. The second wine is called "Segond de Durfort" (formerly "Domaine de Cure-Bourse"). Wines called "Relais de Durfort" and "Vivens Rouge" are also produced.