Loading more Results ...
Loading more Results ...
- Choose type of Display:
- Regions / Areas
Wine regions in Roussillon 28 growing regions
Description to Roussillon
The wine-growing region lies deep in the south of France and is the southern part of the huge Languedoc-Roussillon area (see history there). The first muscatel grapes were cultivated here, which were used as the basis for the famous fortified sweet wines. The famous doctor and scholar Arnaldus de Villanova (1240-1311) is considered the inventor of the vin doux naturel, as it is called today. Although they are also produced in the neighbouring Languedoc to the north-east, Roussillon accounts for around 90%. For four centuries it was part of the Kingdom of Mallorca and only became part of France in 1659. The viticulture is therefore relatively strongly marked by Spanish influence, among other things in terms of grape varieties.
The region is surrounded by the three mountain ranges Corbières in the north, Canigou in the west and Albères on the border with Spain in the south. The vineyards are up to 600 metres high on slopes facing the Mediterranean and cover 22,600 hectares of vines in the Pyrénées-Orientales department. The wines are characterised by the Mediterranean climate. Roussillon is mainly a red wine and rosé wine region. The red wines are made from Carignan Noir (Mazuelo) with about half of the vineyard area, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache Noir (Garnacha Tinta) and Merlot, the white wines from the varieties Muscat Blanc, Bourboulenc, Clairette, Grenache Blanc (Garnacha Blanca), Marsanne, Piquepoul (Folle Bl anche) and Roussanne.
- Banyuls, Banyuls Grand Cru, Banyuls Grand Cru Rancio, Banyuls Rancio
- Côtes du Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon-Villages with four Cru communes
- Côtes Catalanes (IGP)
- Grand Roussillon, Grand Roussillon Rancio
- Maury, Maury Rancio
- Muscat de Rivesaltes
- Pays d'Oc (IGP)
- Pyrénées-Orientales (IGP)
- Rivesaltes, Rivesaltes Rancio
- Terres du Midi (IGP)
Classified wine producers in Roussillon 7
Find+Buy for Roussillon 38
Recent wines 850
The most important grape varieties
More information in the magazine
- Vignerons Catalans Saveurs Oubliées 2010, Côtes du Roussillon Villages, France
- Piquemal Estate Pygmalion 2007, Côtes de Roussillon Villages, France
- Domaine Cazes Marie Gabrielle 2012, (Demeter) Côtes du Roussillon AOC, France
- Southern French enriched Sud de France Master Class
- Social responsibility in the name of wine In Focus: Vignerons Engagés
- AB, Vignerons Engagés, HVE, Terra Vitis: what are the differences? Organic certifications for French wine
- A lot of power for little money In Focus: Côtes du Rhône Villages Rouge
- Saving your account with pleasure In Focus: Crozes-Hermitage
- The slope that never gives up In Focus: Côte-Rôtie
- Lots of freshness after 40 years of bottle ageing Piper Heidsieck winemaker Emilien Boutillat launches collector's series for fans