You are using an old browser that may not function as expected.
For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member


Comprehensive description of all European growing areas, their grape varieties, traditions and legal rules with maps.

Unfortunately there is no information about Friuli Grave DOC available.
Friuli Grave DOC

Description to Friuli Grave DOC

DOC area for a wide range of red, rosé and white wines in the Italian region of Friuli Venezia Giulia. The zone includes 36 municipalities in the province of Pordenone and 58 municipalities in the province of Udine. The name derives (as in the case of Graves in Bordeaux) from the predominant gravel and boulder alluvial soil in the valleys of the Judrio, Livenza, Meduna, Natisone, Tagliamento and Torre rivers. The area stretches from the plain of the Livenza (border river to the west of the Veneto region) to the east of the Colli Orientali del Friuli DOC area. The eastern part is cooler and more humid than the western part with maritime climate. The best wines come from the wide valley of the Tagliamento river with barren and gravelly ("magredi") soil. These are the triangle of Spilimbergo, Bertiolo and Carsarsa, on the west bank at Barbiano, San Giorgio della Richinvelda, San Martino, Rauscedo and Tauriano and on the east bank at Bertiolo, Codroipo and Rivolto. The vineyards cover 6,500 hectares, producing two thirds of the total and about half of the region's DOC wines.

The pure variety wines are produced from at least 95% of the respective variety, the remaining 5% can be other approved varieties. The white wines are Chardonnay, Friulano (Tai = Sauvignonasse), Pinot Bianco(Pinot Blanc), Pinot Grigio(Pinot Gris), Riesling Renano(Riesling), Sauvignon(Sauvignon Blanc), Traminer Aromatico(Gewürztraminer) and Verduzzo Friulano. The red wines are Cabernet (Cabernet Franc and/or Cabernet Sauvignon), Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Nero(Pinot Noir) and Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso.

The Bianco is produced from the authorised varieties except Traminer Aromatico. The Rosso and Rosato and Novello wines are made from the authorised varieties. A white Spumante there's Chardonnay and Pinot Nero. A Frizzante is available in the Rosato, Chardonna, Pinot Bianco and Verduzzo Friulano wine types. A Riserva with longer maturation period are available from all wine types except Novello and Rosato.

In this section you will find
currently 0 Wines and 0 Producers, including 0 classified producers.
Rating system Find+Buy Tasting samples Editorial schedule