wein.plus
Attention
You are using an old browser that may not function as expected. For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member

Regions

Comprehensive description of all European growing areas, their grape varieties, traditions and legal rules with maps.

Colli Etruschi Viterbesi DOC

Description to Colli Etruschi Viterbesi DOC

DOC area for a wide range of red wines, rosé wines and white wines in the Italian region of Lazio. Alternatively, the name Tuscia (after the historical landscape in central Italy; in ancient Etruria, the land of the Etruscans) can be used. The zone includes the municipalities of Acquapendente, Arlena di Castro, Bagnoregio, Barbarano Romano, Bassano in Teverina, Blera, Bolsena, Bomarzo, Canino, Capodimonte, Castiglione in Teverina, Celleno, Cellere, Civitella d'Agliano, Farnese, Gradoli, Graffignano, Grotte di Castro, Ischia di Castro, Latera, Lubriano, Marta, Montefiascone, Monte Romano, Onano, Oriolo Romano, Orte, Piansano, Proceno, San Lorenzo Nuovo, Tessennano, Tuscania, Valentano, Vejano, Vetralla, Villa San Giovanni in Tuscia, Viterbo and Vitorchiano in the province of Viterbo. Only in the municipalities of Capodimonte, Marta and in the district of San Savino (old town of Tuscania) is it possible to use the name Cannaiola (derived from the grape variety Cannaiola di Marta/Canaiolo Nero). If the grapes come from classified vineyards, Vigna can be indicated followed by the name of the vineyard.

The pure variety wines must contain at least 85% of the grape variety concerned, with the Malvasia Bianca di Candia variety being explicitly excluded for the remaining 15% for its aromatic properties. The six red wines are Canaiolo(Canaiolo Nero), Grechetto(Grechetto Rosso), Merlot, Sangiovese, Sangiovese Rosato and Violone(Montepulciano). The five white wines are Grechetto Bianco(Grechetto di Orvieto), Moscatello and Moscatello Passito (Moscato Bianco = Muscat Blanc), Procanico (variety of Trebbiano Toscano) and Rossetto.

The Bianco is blended from Procanico (40-80%), Malvasia Toscana or Malvasia del Lazio (max. 30%), as well as other authorised varieties (max. 30%). Rosso (also known as Novello) and Rosato are produced from Sangiovese (50-65%), Montepulciano (20-45%) and other authorised varieties (max. 30%). A Frizzante is available from Bianco, Grechetto, Moscatello, Procanico, Rosso, Rosato, Sangiovese and Sangiovese Rosato. Many of these wines are available in secco and amabile.
In this section you will find
currently 148,412 Wines and 23,315 Producers, including 2,238 classified producers.
Rating system Their sources in Wine Guide Tasting samples

EVENTS NEAR YOU