The winery in Gamlitz is located in the wine-growing region of Southern Styria
. The "Gschloss zu Gomlitz" was built between 1111 and 1113 and came into the possession of the Benedictine
monastery of St. Paul im Lavanttal (Carinthia), which still exists today, through a donation by the Count of Sponheim. Even back then, viticulture was the main focus of attention and the mass wine
for the monastery was pressed in Gamlitz. In the course of the centuries the owners of the castle changed several times, around 1900 it came into the possession of the Melcher family. Attached to the castle is a wine tavern and guest rooms named after vines in traditional style. In 1990 the Styrian Provincial Exhibition on "Wine Culture" was held in the castle in rooms specially adapted for this purpose. This part is now a museum with many exhibits that provide a cross-section of the history of viticulture in Styria
Today the company is managed by Siegfried Melcher and his son Arnold. The vineyards comprise 12 hectares of vines in the Sonneck reed. They are planted to 95% with the white wine varieties Sauvignon Blanc (leading variety), Welschriesling, Rheinriesling, Gelber Muskateller, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay, the rest with the red wine varieties Zweigelt and Blauer Wildbacher (Schilcher). Grapes are also bought in. Among the premium wines are Sauvignon Blanc Sonneck, Sauvignon Blanc Barrique Alte Reben, Muskateller Sonneck and Chardonnay Sonneck. We also produce bottle-fermented sparkling wines, Frizzante and fine brandies (marc, Kriecherl). In the vinotheque of the castle, Sauvignon Blanc, Muskateller and Traminer wines dating back to the 1950s are stored.