The winery is located in the municipality of Schwaigern in the German growing region of Württemberg. The administrative seat of the Counts of Neipperg is not located on the old Staufian castle complex from the 12th century, but in the count's castle in Schwaigern, which was built in 1702 on a castle destroyed during the Thirty Years' War. The castle also houses the winery, whose vaulted cellar is located in the former moat. The owner of the castle and the winery is Karl Eugen Erbgraf zu Neipperg. Bernd Supp has been responsible for the cellar since 1992. The Neipperg family also owns the two wine estates Château Canon-La-Gaffelière and Clos de L'Oratoire in Saint-Émilion, France, which are managed by brother Comte Stephan Neipperg.
The vineyards in Württemberg comprise 30 hectares of vineyards in the two single vineyards Schlossberg (Neipperg) and Ruthe (Schwaigern), which are solely owned. They are planted with the red wine varieties Lemberger (Blaufränkisch), Schwarzriesling, Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) and Trollinger (Schaiva Grossa); as well as with the white wine varieties Riesling, Müller-Thurgau, Muskateller and Traminer. About 40% of these are steep slopes cultivated with a special method of cross-terracing.
Lemberger has an old red wine tradition. It is said to have been introduced by the family from Austria after the Thirty Years' War (there it is called Blaufränkisch) and is particularly cultivated. The soils on the steep southern slopes consist of mineral-rich gypsum keuper with portions of permeable gravel slabs. The crests of the slopes are made up of reed sandstone, the building material of many of the region's castles/fortresses. The flagship is the red wine "S.E." from Merlot, which is aged in new barriques. In climatically suitable years, ice wines are also pressed. The winery is a member of the Vewreinigungen die Güter and VDP (Verband duetscher Prädikatsweingüter).