The winery is located in the municipality of Thörnich (Bernkastel area) in the German Moselle
wine region. It was already founded in 1628 and has been family-owned ever since. In the middle of 2005 the next generation, Meike and Thomas Ludwig, took over the management of the traditional winery. The vineyards comprise nine hectares of vineyards in the locations Ritsch
and Schießlay (Thörnich), as well as Bruderschaft
(Klüsserath). They are planted with the white wine varieties Riesling (80%; some are over 100 years old), Müller-Thurgau, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc, as well as the red wine varieties Frühburgunder and St. Laurent. Since 2003 the winegrowing has been certified as controlled environmentally friendly. The highest quality is also strived for in the winemaking process using natural means. The work with grapes, must and wine is done according to the traditional principle "as much as necessary, as little as possible". In suitable years, noble sweet Beerenauslese and ice wines are also pressed. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and noble spirits (marc, wine, apple) are also produced.