The estate is located in the commune of Saint-Laurent-des-Combes in the south-east of the Saint-Émilion area (Bordeaux). It is classified as "Grand Cru", although wine connoisseurs often claim a higher rank (Premiere B or A). The building was constructed in 1730. The family estate was taken over by François Mitjavile in 1977 after a two-year apprenticeship at Château Figeac, who added "Rôteboeuf" to the name. In the meantime, his son of the same name continues the tradition. The term "Côte Roteboeuf", which still appears on old maps, literally means "hill of belching oxen". This derives from the oxen that used to pull the plough on the farmland belonging to the estate and only managed the steep slope with great effort. The term Château has been omitted from the label since 1994.
The vineyards have been cultivated according to ecological, sustainable guidelines since 1989. François Mitjavile is considered a pioneer of extreme yield reduction, late harvesting and very long maceration periods. The farm is considered one of the first "garagiste" or micro-château (top wines in small quantities). The vineyards cover just under six hectares of vines on clay-limestone soils. They are planted with Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%), most of which are very old vines. The extremely long-lived red wine is produced in traditional cement vats and then aged for 18 to 24 months in 100% new barriques. The Mitjavile family also owns the two Bordeaux vineyards Domaine de l'Aurage (Castillon - Côtes de Bordeaux) and Château Roc de Cambes (Côtes de Bourg).