The winery is located in the municipality of Istein (Markgräflerland area) in the German Baden
wine region. It was first mentioned in 1139 and was then owned by the bishop of Basel. Until secularisation during the Napoleonic
Wars, it remained in the possession of the church and then fell to the state of Baden in 1802. In 1811, the estate was acquired by Carl Friedrich Baron von Freistedt, a son of the then Margrave Carl Friedrich. The new owner had the estate converted into the small castle from which the name is derived. The estate was then owned by the Lörrach district from 1953 and was leased to the Soder family from 1977 to the end of 2006. Finally, in 2007 the castle estate was sold to the "Royal Vinum Verwaltungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft GmbH". This company also owns the historic Emil Marget vineyard in Hügelheim-Müllheim. The cellar master is Thomas Abels. The vineyards comprise ten hectares of vineyards in the Kirchberg
(Istein) single vineyard. They are planted with the varieties Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gutedel, Chardonnay and Gewürztraminer. The white wines are fermented cool and slowly and are stored on the yeast for a long time. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and noble brandies are also produced.