The winery is located in the municipality of Burg Layen-Rümmelsheim in the German wine-growing region of Nahe. The origins of "Burg Leyen" go back to the end of the 13th century. It was built on a rocky ridge in the Trollbach Valley at the lower reaches of the Nahe River just before it flows into the Rhine. Three castle estates of various noble owners were built on the site, with extensive land and vineyard holdings in the surrounding area. The present castle estate was acquired by Johann Peter Diel (1750-1811) from Heribert Wolfgang Freiherr von Dalberg in 1802 during the occupation of the Nahe region by Napoleon Bonaparte's (1769-1821) troops, after the Diel family had already leased it for decades. Today, the winery is run by Armin Diel and his daughter Caroline, cellar master is Christoph J. Friedrich.
The vineyards cover a total of 22 hectares of vineyards, of which the majority are located in the VDP-Grossen Lagen Burgberg, Goldloch and Pittermännchen (Dorsheim), as well as in the VDP first sites Schlossberg, Hölle and Johannisberg (Burg Layen). The Grossen Lagen are planted exclusively with Riesling, while the Grauburgunder, Weißburgunder and Blauer Spätburgunder varieties also play an important role in the Ersten Lagen. On smaller areas, the varieties Chardonnay and Dornfelder are cultivated. In accordance with the VDP Nahe statutes, only the Rieslings from the best individual vineyards are marketed under the vineyard name. Bottle-fermented, hand-shaken sparkling wines are also produced according to the champagne method. The winery is a member of the VDP (Association of German Prädikat Wine Estates) and a founding member of the German Barrique Forum.