currently 159,048 Wines and 24,646 Producers, including 2,773 classified producers.
The traditional family was already cultivating vines in the Champagne region in the 16th century. Today's champagne house with headquarters in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ was founded in 1910 by Pierre Philipponnat. The company was then bought by Marie-Brizard in 1987 and sold ten years later to Bruno Paillard and the BCC group (Boizel Chanoine Champagne). Since 1999, it has been run by Charles Philipponnat (a great-nephew of Pierre). In 2004, a new winery was completed next to the cellar in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ. The vineyards cover 18 hectares of vines, all located in Aÿ, Mareuil-sur-Aÿ, Avenay Val d'Or and Mutigny. Traditionally, all wines are fermented in tank or old oak barrels, but since 2000, the cuvée de prestige "Clos des Goisses", mainly made from Pinot Noir, has been fermented in 228-litre oak barrels for 40 to 50%. Unlike the other champagnes, there is no malolactic fermentation. The video (click to view) shows the process of dégorgement; in the neck of the bottle you can see the lees that are removed during this process:
Images: Philipponnat Champagne House, Millésima.fr