The winery is located in the municipality of Pessac in the Pessac-Léognan area of Graves (Bordeaux). It is one of the oldest wineries in Bordeaux, as it was founded in 1300 by the then Archbishop of Bordeaux, Bertrand de Goth (1264-1314). In the year 1309, as Pope Clemens V., he chose the city Avignon as his residence and therewith founded the French exile of the popes that existed until 1377. This is why the label still shows the papal insignia today. Clemens left the estate to the diocese of Bordeaux. Due to the French Revolution, the estate was confiscated in 1791 and sold to the banker Charles Peixotto. Under the subsequent owner Jean-Baptiste Clerc it experienced a period of prosperity. He considerably enlarged the vineyards and also had the château built. After an eventful history with numerous owners, the majority of the vineyards were destroyed by hailstorms in 1937.
Two years later it was bought by Paul Montagne and rebuilt with the support of Émile Peynaud (1912-2004). Today there is a partnership between Paul's son Leo Montagne and Bernard Magrez, who is responsible for the business. The well-known oenologist Michel Rolland (*1947) acted as consultant. The vineyards cover 32.5 hectares. Of these, 30 hectares are planted with the red wine varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%), and 2.5 hectares with the white wine varieties Sémillon (45%), Sauvignon Blanc (45%) and Muscadelle (10%). The extremely long-lasting red wine matures for 24 months in at least 70 to 100% new barriques. Only this one is classified as "Cru Classé" according to the Graves classification. The two second wines are called "Le Clementin du Pape-Clément" and "Le Prelat du Pape-Clément". The white wine matures for 12 months in barriques.