The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Julien in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The name "Grand Vin de Léoville du Marquis de Las Cases" appears on the label, a château is not mentioned. The last part of the name is derived from Marquis de Las Cases Beauvoir, the owner of a Château Léoville. It remained in the possession of this family until 1840, when it was divided into three parts. Besides the property in question, Château Léoville-Barton and Château Léoville-Poyferré were created. Subsequently, the estate came into the possession of the Delon family (descendants of the Léoville family), who also owned Château Potensac. The progenitor was Théophile Skawinski, who managed the estate until 1930. Between 1976 and 1996, Michel Delon gave the estate its present character and handed over the management to his son Jean-Hubert. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification, the estate was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé).
The vineyards cover 97 hectares of vines, planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (19%), Cabernet Franc (13%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The soil is similar to the famous Château Latour in Pauillac, which borders on it to the north. The largest of the plots is completely walled in (Clos). This extremely long-lasting red wine is aged for 20 months in 50 to 100% new barriques, depending on the vintage. The wine is counted among the so-called "Super-Seconds", which would actually deserve the "Premier Cru Classé" due to its excellent quality. It is assumed that after the Château Mouton-Rothschild, the estate could be the second to be perhaps highly classified. The 1970 vintage was present at the legendary Paris Wine Tasting in 1976. The second wine is called "Clos du Marquis" and is one of the best in its genre. There is also a third wine called "Domaine de Bigarnon".