The winery is located in the south of the municipality of Pomerol
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux) exactly between the two famous neighbours Château Cheval Blanc
(Saint-Émilion) and Château Pétrus
(Pomerol). The estate was founded in 1741 by the Léglise family under the name "Fazilleau". At the beginning of the 19th century, it was sold to the lawyer Isambert, who named it after the Gospel. Then in 1862 it passed to Paul Chaperon, after his death to the Ducasse family, until it was finally sold to the "Domaines Barons de Rothschild" in 1990. Château Lafite-Rothschild
also belongs to this company of the French Rothschild branch
. The last owner, Madame Ducasse, and her advisor Michel Rolland
were still in charge until 1999.
Starting in 1998, the entire vineyards were restored and partially renewed and by 2004 the renovation of the fermentation cellars and the vineyard was completed. In 2012, 6 hectares of land were bought and incorporated into Château La Croix de Gay. As a result, the vineyard area has been increased from 16 to 22 hectares. The gravelly soil, mixed with sand and clay, is very similar to that of Pétrus. It is planted with Merlot (80%) and Cabernet Franc (20%), which are on average 30 years old (2014). This long-lasting red wine matures for 18 months in 70% new barriques. Every year 2,000 to 3,000 cases are produced. The second wine is called "Blason de L'Évangile".