The winery is located in the municipality of Nierstein (Nierstein area) in the German growing region of Rheinhessen. The history of the house goes back to the year 1561, as documented by a stone in the vaulted cellar of the "Mathildenhof, where the winery resided until autumn 2006. In the course of time, the estate changed hands several times. In 1909 it was acquired by the Heyl family and was now called "Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim". In 1969, the estate was taken over by the husband of the Heyl heiress Peter von Weymarn. He was one of the first producers in Germany to introduce a vineyard classification system for the estate and since then has only listed the names of the best sites on the label. Already in the early 1980s he completely converted the vineyards to controlled organic cultivation. Peter von Weymarn is thus the pioneer of organic cultivation in Germany. In 1994, the estate became the property of the Ahr family.
At the beginning of 2006, the entrepreneur Detlev Meyer finally bought the winery and the vineyards were leased. The St. Antony vineyard is also part of the entrepreneur's property. Both wineries moved into the renovated buildings of the former Gustav Adolf Schmitt Winery at the end of 2006. In March 2008 it was decided to merge the two. However, Heyl zu Herrnsheim will remain as a wine line, for which the company is even aiming to become a member of the VDP (the winery was a member). The grapes for Heyl zu Herrnsheim come exclusively from steep slopes in the Roter Hang and comprise ten hectares of vineyards in the individual sites Brudersberg (sole ownership), Hipping, Ölberg, Orbel and Pettenthal in Nierstein, as well as Rothenberg in Nackenheim. They are planted with Riesling (80%),Pinot Blanc and PinotNoir.