The Madeira House was founded in 1850 by João Henriques in the town of Câmara de Lobos on the Portuguese island of Madeira
as a trading house. The traditional Henriques family was one of the largest landowners here as early as the 15th century. In 1925 they concentrated exclusively on marketing their own wines. Many innovations took place under the leadership of family member John Cossart (1945-2008). The new winery "Ribeira do Escrivão" was completed in 1992 with an investment of 6 million dollars. In 1995, the new "Quinta Grande" winery was opened, where the largest vineyard on the island, with ten hectares of vineyards, is cultivated. The company is the only Madeira House with its own vineyard. It is still family owned and has been managed by Dr. Humberto Jardim (President) and Luís Pereira (Director of Production) since 2008.