The winery (formerly also Château Clos Fourtet) is located opposite the main entrance to the old town of Saint-Émilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). In the Middle Ages, a fortification called "Camfourtet" (Camp Fourtet) was located on this site. Wine growing was started in the middle of the 18th century by Léon Rulleau. The château was built by his nephew Elie Rulleau. In 1868 the family changed the name to "Clos Fourtet". In 1919, the estate was bought by Fernand Ginestet, became the property of the Lurton
Empire in 1949 and was finally sold to Philippe Cuvelier in January 2001 for a raked-in sum of USD 66.8 million. It has been classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since 1955. The vineyards cover 19 hectares of Merlot (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The long-lasting red wine matures up to 18 months in 70% new barriques. The second wine is called "Domaine de Martialis".