The winery is located in the municipality of Poggibonsi in the Cinciano district of the Chianti region (province of Siena) in the Italian region of Tuscany
. Between 1126 and 1900 it was owned by the Curia of Florence. In 1973 it was acquired by the current owner family and is now run by the siblings Ferdinando and Ottavia Garrè. Stefano Porcinai is responsible as oenologist and Valerio Marconi as cellar master. The vineyards are planted on typical Chianti-Alberese soils (weathered sandstone) and cover 33 hectares of vineyards, no grapes are bought in. They are mainly planted with Sangiovese
), as well as some Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. With the white wine varieties Grechetto, Sauvignon (S. Blanc) and Viognier are experimented
Selective hand-picking takes place relatively late, at the end of September. The DOCG Chianti-Classico
comes from a vineyard at an altitude of 250 to 300 metres above sea level in a south-westerly direction, the Chianti-Classico Riserva
with a very low yield comes from the two over 40-year-old vineyards Camponi and Lunghe. Both wines are made from 100% Sangiovese grapes. Mash fermentation
is temperature-controlled in cement vats for up to ten days (five to seven days for the Riserva with post-mashing), followed by spontaneous malolactic fermentation
and aging for around eight months (18 months for the Riserva) in barrels of 25 to 50 hectolitres of Slavonian oak in the 100-year-old cellar.
The product range also includes various IGP Toscana in Rosato and Rosso, blended and similarly vinified from mainly Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, and Bianco. The IGP red wines mature in French barriques. Up to 200,000 bottles of wine are produced annually, 70% of which are exported to the most important countries China
and the USA
. Olive oil is also produced. The winery is a member of Consorzio del Chianti Classico, Enoclub and Fisar (Sommelier Association).