The winery is located in the communal appellation of Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
. It bears the name of the former owner General John Talbot (1384-1453). This last commander of the English province of Aquitaine fell in 1453 at the Battle of Castillon against the French. Since 1918, the estate has been owned by the Cordier
family (but no longer has any connection with the Cordier group). In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification
, the estate was awarded fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover a total of 107 hectares. Of these, 102 hectares are planted with the red varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (66%), Merlot (26%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). The remaining five hectares are planted with the white varieties Sauvignon Blanc (84%) and Sémillon (16%). The red wine, which can be stored for decades, is aged for 15 to 18 months in barriques, 60% of which are new. The second wine is called "Connétable Talbot". The unclassified white wine is called "Caillou Blanc". It is marketed as "one of the oldest Médoc white wines".