The winery is located northeast of the town of Saint-Émilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). It was first mentioned under "Mayne de Soutard" in 1513 and the château was built in 1741. The estate was successively owned by the Couture, Lavau and Ligneris families. It was finally acquired by the insurance group "AG2R La Mondiale" in 2006. It was extensively renovated and a wine tourism programme
was established. In 2009 the Château Cadet-Piola
was purchased and in 2012 the vineyards of the two estates were merged. The estate is classified as "Grand Cru Classé", which was last confirmed in 2012. The vineyards cover 30 hectares of vines with Merlot (63%), Cabernet Franc (28%), Cabernet Sauvignon (7%) and Malbec (25). The vineyards are cultivated according to the rules of Biodynamic viticulture
. The long-lasting red wine matures for about 18 months in 33% new barriques. The second wine was called "Clos de la Tonnelle" until the 2006 vintage, then from 2007 "Les Jardins de Soutard".