The winery is located in the commune of Moulis in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. In the Bordeaux classification according to the old system, which is no longer valid, it was last classified as "Cru Bourgeois" in 2003. The name is derived from "Mauvais cailloux" (bad rock), which refers to the stony soil that is unfavourable for growing cereals. However, it is very suitable for wine growing. Its origins date back to 1871, when the Petite-Laroche family of wine merchants bought properties and set up a wine warehouse near the Moulis railway station. As a wedding present for his wife, J. Petite-Laroche had the château built in 1875 as a wedding present for his wife. Finally, in 1929, the estate was acquired by brothers André (1901-1975) and Roger Dourthe (1900-1984), who were both active in the wine trade. Today, the Dourthe family is the sixth generation of the Dourthe family to run the estate. In 1987, a viticulture museum with many exhibits was opened. The vineyards cover 63 hectares in the communes of Moulis and Listrac-Médoc. They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (52%), Merlot (41%) and Petit Verdot (6%). This long-lasting red wine matures for 18 to 20 months in 50 to 75% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château Cap de Haut Maucaillou".