The winery is located in the municipality of
Margaux in the
Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The origin is in a property of the notary family Escoussès in the 16th century. In 1697 it was acquired by Simon Malescot, who gave it the first part of its present name. In 1827, the family sold the estate to the Marquis Jean-Baptiste de Saint-Exupéry (the great-grandfather of the writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry), who merged it with the "Loyac" estate and added the second part of the name to the name of the estate. When
Château Dubignon was abandoned, part of these vineyards were added to the estate. Five owners were ruined between 1880 and 1955 by disasters such as
phylloxera and
mildew as well as two world wars. Only seven hectares of vineyards remained of the totally run-down estate
Finally in 1955 the estate was acquired by Paul Zuger and his son Roger. Extensive renovations were carried out in the cellar and new vineyards were planted. Until 1979 the estate was run together with
Château Marquis d'Alesme-Becker, which also belonged to the Zuger family. In the meantime, the famous oenologist Michel
Rolland (*1947) was also engaged as an advisor. Today Château Malescot Saint-Exupéry is managed by Jean-Luc Zuger. In the
1855 Bordeaux Classification it was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 24 hectares of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (10%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 14 to 16 months in 80% new barriques. The second wine is called "La Dame de Malescot".