The winery is located in the commune of Léognan in the Pessac-Léognan
area of Graves
(Bordeaux). It was founded in the 18th century by the Lagravière family of shipowners. In 1803, Pierre Malartic bought it and added his name. A famous family member was the French admiral Comte Anne-Joseph-Hippolyte Maurès de Malartic (1730-1800), who is commemorated by the three-master on the bottle label. After several changes of ownership, the estate came into the possession of the champagne company Laurent-Perrier
, which sold it to the Belgian Alfred-Alexandre Bonnie in 1997. Both white wine and red wine are classified as "Cru Classé" (Graves). The vineyards cover a total of 47 hectares of vines, 41 hectares of which are planted with the red wine varieties Merlot (45%), Cabernet Sauvignon (45%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), and six hectares with the white wine varieties Sauvignon Blanc (80%) and Sémillon (20%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for up to 22 months in barriques, one third of which are new. The long-lived white wine is matured for up to eight months in 100% new barriques. The second wines (in white and red) are called "Sillage de Malartic". A rosé is called "Le Rosé de Malartic"