The winery is located in the commune of Margaux in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The first owners are the Durfort de Duras family, who planted the first vineyards in the 15th century and managed the estate for centuries. The family also owned Château Durfort-Vivens at that time and the Lascombes estate was originally part of it. During the French Revolution, the estate became state property for a few years. Jean-François Lascombes then ran it to the top, and in 1838 it was mentioned in a magazine as equal to Château Margaux. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification, the estate was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). In 1952 the estate became the property of a US consortium and was managed by Alexis Lichine (1913-1989). In 1971 it was sold to the Bass Charrington brewery group. Finally, in 2001, 67 million dollars were transferred to the US pension fund Colony Capital. The total ownership is 110 hectares, of which the vineyards account for 84 hectares. These are planted with Merlot (50%), Cabernet Sauvignon (45%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 20 months in barriques that are 80% new. The second wine of the house is called "Chevalier de Lascombes"