The winery is located on the road to Libourne in the Saint-Émilion
(Bordeaux) area. The estate has been owned by the noble Malet-Roquefort family for around 400 years and is now managed by Comte Léo de Malet-Roquefort. The name is derived from a hospital for lepers located here in the Middle Ages, the old name for this disease was "gaffets". Excavations carried out in 1969 revealed the remains of a Roman building with mosaics depicting vines on the site. It is believed that this could be the place where the Roman poet Ausonius
(310-395) lived and owned a vineyard. Its home is usually attributed to the site of Château Ausone
. In the 1860s, the large estate was divided up. One part was Château Canon-La-Gaffelière
, the other part was Château La Gaffelière-Naudes, whose name was only shortened to its present name Château La Gaffelière in 1964. It is classified since 1955 as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B". Incidentally, the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland
(*1947) worked as a consultant. The vineyards cover 22 hectares and are planted with Merlot (65%), Cabernet Franc (30%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 18 to 20 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Clos la Gaffelière".