The winery is located in the municipality of Labarde in the Margaux region of the Médoc (Bordeaux). The origin of the estate dates back to 1330, a vineyard or viticulture was first mentioned in 1552. King Louis XIV (1638-1715) is said to have already appreciated this wine. In 1789, during the French Revolution, the then owner family Saint-Simon was expropriated. After several changes of ownership, the banker Comte von Pescatore acquired the estate in 1847, had the magnificent château built and received Eugénie, the wife of Emperor Napoleon III. (1808-1873). After the Second World War, it was acquired by Nicolas Tari, who had an eight-hectare artificial lake created to influence the microclimate. In 1970, his son Pierre Tari (a participant in the legendary Paris Wine Tasting in 1976) took over the estate, which he sold in the early 1990s to the Dutchman Eric Albada-Jelgersma, who also owns Château du Tertre.
In 1998, there was a major scandal when illegal practices such as illicit must sugaring and the use of oak chips were uncovered, especially in the case of the second wine of the 1995 and 1996 vintages. Jelgersma, who was obviously unaware of the procedures, subsequently replaced a large part of the team including the oenologist. Today, the Dutchman Alexander van Beek is the main responsible person at Château Giscours as well as at Château du Tertre. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification, the estate was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The total estate covers 400 hectares of land. However, only 81 hectares are planted with the Cabernet Sauvignon (53%) and Merlot (42%) varieties. The extremely long-lasting red wine is aged for 15 to 18 months in two-thirds new barriques. The second wine is called "La Sirène de Giscours".