The winery is located in the municipality of Margaux
or the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). Its origins date back to 1765, when the merchant Gabriel Ferrière (1721-1792) bought it. Owned by the family until 1917, it was sold to Armand Feuillerat. The heirs later rented the estate to Alexis Lichine
, who vinified the wine on his estate Château Lascombes
. In 1988, it was acquired by Jacques Merlaut
(+2008) through his Taillan Group and managed by daughter Bernadette. After the tragic death with her husband during a hiking holiday in the Pyrenees, her daughter Claire Villars-Lurton (wife of Gonzague Lurton
) took over the management in 1992. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification
it was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover eight hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (80%), Merlot (15%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 16 to 18 months in barriques that are 60% new. The second wine is called "Les Remparts de Ferrière".