The winery is located at the gates of the town of Saint-Émilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). In the 19th century it was called La Gaffelière-Boitard (Canon-Boitard), after its owner M. Boitard de la Poterie. In 1953, the estate was acquired by Pierre Meyrat, who was mayor of Saint-Émilion for a few years. After his death (1969), the château was bought by the Count Neipperg
family in 1971. The La Mondotte
vineyard was also acquired at the same time. Since 1985, Count Stephan von Neipperg has been in charge, who also owns the Clos de L'Oratoire
. In 2012 the estate was highly classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B". The vineyards cover 19.5 hectares and are planted with Merlot (55%), Cabernet Franc (40%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 15 to 20 months in 80 to 100% new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Hauts de Canon La Gaffelière".