The winery is located in the municipality of Sondrio (province of Sondrio) in the Italian region of Lombardy. It was founded in 1860 and was revived in 1984 by Arturo Pelizzatti Perego under its present name. Today it is run by the fifth generation of the family, three siblings, Isabella, Emanuele and Guido Pelizzatti Perego. In 2010/2011 the rebuilt cellar and a new office building with tasting room were put into operation. The vineyards cover 15 hectares of vineyards in the three sub-areas of Sassella (9.5 hectares), Grumello (4.5 hectares) and Inferno (1 hectare). They are planted 100% with the Chiavennasca(Nebbiolo) grape variety. About 10% of the grapes are bought from winegrowers. The environmentally friendly cultivation follows the rules of integrated agriculture.
The product range includes the DOC wine Rosso di Valtellina, as well as the DOCG wines Valtellina Superiore Sassella, Grumello and Inferno, which are also aged as Riserva. The wines are aged after long maceration in 50-hectolitre barrels with long ageing in special vintages. The house's premium wines are Valtellina Superiore Il Pettirosso (12 months aging) and Valtellina Superiore Sassella Riserva Ultimi Raggi (30 days maceration, 60 months). The annual production is about 100,000 bottles of wine, 60% of which are exported to European countries and overseas to Australia, Canada and Japan. The winery is a member of Consorzio Tutela di Vini Valtellina and FIVI (Federazione Italiana Vignaioli Indipendenti).